State Regulations On Boilers Tightened After 4 Deaths From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Changes to state rules regarding boilers are taking shape in response to the death of four people during to carbon monoxide poisoning. Two of the most striking additions to the state regulations mandate the installation of carbon monoxide detectors and the performance of regular and manufacturer-suggested preventive maintenance.

In addition, the council also drafted several additions to the state regulations on preventive maintenance. Water leaks must be checked including corrosion and the presence of nearby combustible material. Ventilation must not be blocked and safety controls must always be tested whether they are operating properly.

Some photos were displayed during the Monday meeting showing several boilers and their ventilations systems in rusted disrepair. The boiler inspection that was undertaken throughout the whole of Delaware showed corrosions on exhaust systems with exhaust vents disconnected that will result into exhaust gases getting inside the boiler room or entering some intake device. Problems were prevalent among the boilers that have been inspected.

The four people died from carbon monoxide poisoning because the boiler was in serious state of disrepair. It allowed carbon monoxide to enter the units at Building G of Evergreen Apartments and killed the people while they slept. Aside from the fatalities, some residents were injured with others forced to evacuate from their homes. There were no carbon monoxide detectors in the building which would have been capable of shutting down the devices when there are unsafe levels of poisonous gas.

Wrongful death lawsuits have been filed against Evergreen Apartments but the apartment owners also filed third-party complaints against Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environment Control, the boiler inspector including his employer and the previous owners of the apartment building. The boiler in Building G was passed a 2-year inspection in 2014 and the owners are arguing that they are not responsible for the boiler’s dilapidation.

If there is one thing that a homeowner must not ignore, it is boiler repair. Many deaths have already been reported because boilers have malfunctioned and caused fires and explosions. Carbon monoxide is a silent killer and it usually results from improperly installed and poorly maintained boilers. Make sure your boiler is safe, have it inspected now.

Share Button

Related posts